Call for applications
Deadline: Thursday, 1 October 2020 – 11:59 p.m. (CEST)
Artists, curators, designers – ranging from graphic and fashion to food and social design –, researchers, writers, and architects are welcome to apply for a 12-month residency starting in 2021.
As a multi-disciplinary post-academic institute, the Jan van Eyck Academie (Maastricht, NL) offers residency programmes to those who wish to broaden their artistic horizons and develop their art practice in depth. Each participant is equipped with a private studio, can count on the guidance of our advisers and make use of the expertise of our library and Labs – Photography & Audiovisual, Materials & Construction, Food, Printing & Publishing and Future Materials. The departments for Nature Research, Art & Society and Research & Education support the artists in realizing their projects in collaboration with external parties and further their artistic and academic research. Next to their individual projects, participants are encouraged to collaboratively develop an In-Lab project and to contribute to the public programme.
- Lasting 12 months, you may indicate whether you would like to start your residency in April 2021 or September 2021. Upon successful acceptance into the programme, the exact starting date of your residency will be determined by the institute, but, of course, in consultation with you;
- 32 up to 35 spots are available each year;
- The enrolment fee amounts to €2,750/year excluding VAT. You will receive an invoice well before the starting date of your residency;
- Participants receive a monthly stipend of €900 and a working budget of €2,000 annually;
- Duos or collectives can apply with 1 project proposal for 1 residency at the Jan van Eyck. If selected, they will share 1 studio and 1 stipend. In that case, the enrolment fee has to be paid only once;
- Participants are expected to settle in Maastricht or direct surroundings (in a radius of 10 km) during their stay at the Jan van Eyck;
- The languages of communication at the academy are Dutch and English. We expect you to master the English language sufficiently to be able to converse and collaborate with fellow participants and staff members;
- The Jan van Eyck Academie is not an educational institute. Consequently, the institute does not provide degrees or certificates;
- Fill out the form
- Upload PDF with all documentation
- Fulfil payment of the registration fee
Applying is done digitally and in English via the online application form. In this form, you can upload your documentation as one single PDF file. This PDF file should not be larger than 10 MB.
* For collectives: only one of you needs to fill out the form. The candidate who fills the form becomes the contact person for the academy. In the field “Name of your duo, name of your partner”, you can fill out your partner’s name and, if applicable, the name of your duo or collective.
An application consists of the following parts, preceded by a table of contents:
- a project proposal stating the goals and purpose of your stay (max. 500 words);
- first ideas concerning an In-Lab (max. 500 words);
- documentation of recent work (dating back no longer than 5 years, maximum 25 pages);
- your resume (max. 2 pages).
For large files (like videos), please insert a link to the server/website/YouTube/Vimeo where the file can be viewed. Please make sure all the links to external sites work. Double-check your links in the final PDF before submitting it! If links do not work, the selection committee cannot review your application correctly and properly. The links should be active for at least up to two months after the deadline has passed.
- Keep in mind that most of the applications are initially viewed on a horizontal screen (laptop); so place your work in horizontal slides (unless the original work is vertical);
- Make sure you put only one or two works per slide (combining too many works makes the page illegible);
- Please insert title, material, size, and year of the work next to or under the image on the same slide. You may also include a short description of the work.
The registration fee amounts to €65 (excl. VAT) or €78,65 (incl. VAT.). The payment procedure is included in the online application; when finalizing the form, you will be redirected to Paypal.
Please make sure you have an active Paypal account and that you have your login code at hand. Upon redirecting, you will be asked to sign in.
The deadline for submitting your application is 1 October 2020 Midnight (CEST). So the last chance to send in your application is on Thursday night October 1st at 23:59 / midnight.
After submitting, you will receive an automatic confirmation that we received your application. You cannot make any adjustments to your application after submitting it. If there are any questions or issues regarding your application, we will contact you.
Your application will be assessed by a selection committee consisting of the director and the curator/resident liaison of the Jan van Eyck, the institute’s advisers and one or two external members.
The selection committee will assess your application based on the following criteria:
- The quality of your work;
- Your artist’s attitude and ambition, visual and reflective skills;
- The meaning and relevance of your proposal for a residency at the academy;
- Your In-Lab proposal.
The outcome of the selection procedure will be communicated mid-December.
If selected, you will be asked to sign an agreement with the Jan van Eyck Academie. This agreement states all the details concerning your stay, working period, the policies of the institute, and mutual rights and duties. Once you have signed this agreement, your working period at the Jan van Eyck Academie can commence.
*Depending on your nationality, some foreign participants might need a visa and/or a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands. The application for such permits will be and can only be done through the Jan van Eyck Academie.
More information concerning visa and residence permits can be found here:
Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +31(0)43 350 37 09 / +31(0)43 350 37 36
Contact person: Solange Roosen / Liva Nagle